Information on OIE Reference Laboratories
Paris, November 27 2012 – The World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) has a global network of 236 Reference Laboratories covering 112 diseases and/or scientific topics in 37 countries.
OIE Reference Laboratories have a responsibility to provide high quality disease diagnostic services as global references to all Member Countries of the OIE particularly in the case of doubts or controversies about animal sample analyses.
The OIE is therefore keen to maintain the highest technical and operational standards of all Reference Laboratories.
After different Member Countries pointed out questionable diagnostic results emanating from an OIE Reference Laboratory for Infectious Salmon Anaemia located at Atlantic Veterinary College (AVC) in Canada, the OIE decided to conduct an audit of the Reference Laboratory with independent OIE experts from 31 July to 2 August 2012.
Conclusions of the audit were unfavourable and showed that a series of weaknesses in the system have a direct impact on the quality of diagnoses conducted by the OIE Reference Laboratory at AVC.
Following OIE’s standard procedure, the conclusions of the audit will be reported to OIE elected governing bodies: the Aquatic Animal Commission and the Council, and finally the World Assembly of Delegates in May 2013. OIE will take no official action before this final decision.
- Today, 13 OIE Reference Laboratories are located in Canada.
- OIE’s scientific network also includes 41 Collaborating Centres covering 38 topics in 22 countries.
- The OIE does not provide financial support to the Reference Laboratories and Collaborating Centres – their contribution to the improvement of animal health worldwide is considered as in-kind contribution of Member Countries hosting them, which in this way demonstrate their international solidarity.
- Access the full list of OIE Reference laboratories: https://www.oie.int/en/our-scientific-expertise/reference-laboratories/list-of-laboratories/
- More information can be found on the OIE website: https://www.oie.int/en/our-scientific-expertise/overview/