Simulation exercise: Avian influenza in Panama
Dr Bredio Velasco Denvers, National Director of Animal Health of the Ministry of Agricultural Development, Panama, informed the OIE that a simulation exercise on avian influenza will take place from 19 to 23 October 2015 in the city of Santiago, Province of Veraguas, Republic of Panama.
The objectives of this exercise, organized by the Animal Health Department (DINASA), are to:
- Evaluate the capacity of field veterinarians from DINASA to take decisions for the preparations and response when facing emergencies and disasters, in compliance with the plans and procedures established.
- Validate the Manual of emergencies for avian diseases.
- Test the effectiveness of inter-institutional and inter-sectorial coordination while coordinating the handling of emergency situations in animal health.
- Train personnel, with functions in decision making and in the implementation of response activities to emergencies, to the handling of crisis situation and management of the information.
Representatives from public and private sectors will participate to this exercise which includes two parts:
- Update of avian influenza knowledge and disease control activities,
- A table-top exercise based on a scenario.
World Animal Health Information and Analysis Department
World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE)