Simulation exercise: Avian influenza in Serbia
Dr Zoran Micovic, Veterinary Directorate, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Management of Serbia informed the OIE that a simulation exercise on avian influenza will take place in NiÅ¡ between 10 and 15 November 2008.
The training will be organised by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), its Contractor, and the Veterinary Directorate, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Management of Republic of Serbia with participation of Centre for Disease Control Purposes.
Besides veterinary inspectors and epidemiologists from 12 veterinary laboratories, representatives of the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Defence of Republic of Serbia, and representatives of Veterinary Directorates from neighbouring countries (Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia) will take part in this training.
The objectives of this exercise are:
– Describe the essential characteristics of the Asian H5N1 HPAI virus.
– Recognise the clinical signs of Asian H5N1 HPAI infection in birds and humans.
– Biosecurity – principles, risk, procedures, planning.
– Surveillance – types of surveillance and sampling procedures.
– Outbreak response and management.
– Depopulation and disposal options.
– Data collection, GIS/GPS, planning a field response.
– Planning for farm-based drill practice – roles and responsibilities.
The practical part of the training will be held in a commercial poultry farm in Lapotince, Bojnik municipality.
Animal Health Information Department
World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE)