Simulation exercise: Foot and mouth disease and lumpy skin disease in Lithuania and in Latvia
Dr Darius Remeika, Director of the State Food and Veterinary Service of the Republic of Lithuania and Dr Maris Balodis, Director General of the Food and Veterinary Service of the Republic of Latvia informed the OIE that a cross-border simulation exercise on foot and mouth disease and lumpy skin disease will take place from 2 to 3 May 2018 in Lithuania (in the district municipality of Biržai bordering Latvia).
The overall aim of this Cross-Border Simulation Exercise is:
- to maintain the response skills of the Veterinary Services of two neighbouring countries,
- to collaborate on how to deal with foot and mouth disease and lumpy skin disease suspicion, confirmed outbreaks in domestic animals and confirmed cases in wild animals,
- to practice of cross-border cooperation,
- to deal with emergency response for foot and mouth and lumpy skin disease,
- to test the roles and functions of the different levels of command in the Veterinary Services
This simulation exercise is directed to official veterinary inspectors responsible for animal health control in the country.
World Animal Health Information and Analysis Department
World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE)