Simulation exercise: Foot and mouth disease in the United States of America – Canada
Dr. Peter Fernandez, Delegate of the United States of America (USA) to the OIE, informed us that a simulation exercise for foot and mouth disease (FMD) will be conducted from 21 to 23 March 2005. The exercise will examine the cross-border interactions between the USA and Canada during a hypothetical FMD outbreak.
The specific objectives of the exercise are as follows:
– to activate the State and Provincial level emergency response plans;
– to work with State and Provincial management officials;
– to test the hierarchical communication system from the State and Provincial agencies, to Area and Regional personnel, and to the Federal headquarters of both countries;
– to activate selected Emergency Response Teams;
– to incorporate traceability systems for livestock where available;
– to examine vaccine distribution processes.
The exercise will involve emergency operations centers and/or command posts in a number of different locations, and will involve the border States of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont, and the corresponding bordering Canadian Provinces of Quebec and New Brunswick.
Animal Health Information Department
World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE)